At Denbigh Primary School we value the diverse ethnic backgrounds of our pupils and their families. We undertake a variety of events and lessons to celebrate the diversity within our community. Underpinning this is a range of curriculum topics which have strong links to British values. We have found this approach to be enriching for all parties as it teaches tolerance and respect for the differences in our community and the wider world.
Denbigh Primary School is active in promoting the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths.
By incorporating SMSC (Social, Moral, Spiritual,Cultural) opportunities throughout our curriculum, we:
- enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence;
- enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
- encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely;
- enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England;
- further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures;
- encourage respect for other people; and
- encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.